Draw these body parts to familiarise yourself with the components of the figure as it will help you flesh out your oval and triangle templates.
1. Head: Egg-shape
2. Neck: Cylinder shape
3. Shoulders: Smooth wedge or coat hanger shape
4. Upper torso: Like a tapered box from the underarm positions to a small waist
5. Lower torso: Shorter tapered box narrower at the waist to slightly wider at the low hips to the top of the thighs.
6. Thigh to knee: A tapered cylinder
7. Lower leg: A shaped cylinder tapered both ends
8. Foot: Elongated diamond shape, with slightly more definition for the toes and ankles
9. Upper arm: Narrow tapered cylinder
10. Lower arm: A shaped cylinder tapered both ends
11. Hand: Diamond reshaped to indicate the fingers.
Figure 5.1: Eleven Basic Body Parts
Was this article helpful?
Realize Your Dream of Becoming a Professional Pencil Drawing Artist. Learn The Art of Pencil Drawing From The Experts. A Complete Guide On The Qualities of A Pencil Drawing Artist.