LATE SIXTEENTH CENTURY
A PAIR of white leather gloves, the gauntlets embroidered with silver and silk of esthetic colouring ; the fringe is of silver, and the lining is a pale pink snk. Total length from tip of middle iinger to point of the fringe 11\ inches. These gloves are reputed to have belonged to Lady Sherington, of Laycock Abbey, "n Wiltshire. Sir William Sherington purchased the Abbey in 1544, and in 1574 his brother Sir Kenry, who had succeeded to the estate, entertained Queen Elizabeth here. There arc monuments to the family m Laycock Church. Date of gloves, late sixteenth century.
The property of Mrs. B. Morrell.
Digitized by Microsoft ®
FLA ra xm
Was this article helpful?