Queen Annes Gloves

OXFORD

Jl N unusually elegant pair of early eighteenth-century gloves, of / 3V buff" leatherj in excellent preservation, measuring only jo A ' niches in length ; the gauntlets are short and most elaborately ornamented with a perforated pattern in gold and crimson thread embroidery and small bugle beads of glass ; there are four small openings in the gauntlets: over each of which is a bow of ribbon ; they are lined with puce silk.

These gloves were left by Queen Anne at Christ Church when on a visit to Oxford, August 26th, 1702, and are now in the Ash-molean Museum.

PLATimXLI

Historic Shoes

PLATE XL!!

Steven Stipelman

PLATE XLII

Was this article helpful?

0 0

Post a comment